Test your Tick IQ
<![if !supportLists]>1. <![endif]>Which of the following is NOT a tick borne disease?
a. Ehrlichiosis b. Leptospirosis
c. Babesia d. Anaplasma
Answer: Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease spread through contact with contaminated water. Leptospirosis is commonly carried by wildlife such as raccoons, skunks, opossums
squirrels and rats.
2. Ticks are only a problem in the Summer True or False
Answer: False, ticks are a problem in Spring, Summer and Fall
3. Ticks can transmit Heartworm Disease True or False
Answer: False. Heartworms are transmitted by Mosquitos
4. Touching a burnt match to a tick is a good way to detach it.
True or False
Answer: False. Agitating the tick with a burnt match can cause the tick to reguritate stomach contents into the pet, accelerating disease transfer.
Quiz 2 - Test Your Heartworm IQ
1. Heartworms are transmitted by:
Answer B. Mosquitoes
2. Heartworms can cause which of the following problems:
Answer: d. All of these
3 Heartworms are not a significant problem in El Dorado County
Answer: False. El Dorado County has more cases of Heartworm disease than any other county in California.
4. Heartworms are only a problem in Spring and Summer.
Answer: False. Mosquitoes can survive all year in our mild weather, additionally, Oak trees, common in the foothill areas of the state, provide tree holes that fill with water and harbor the larvae of the principal Aedes vector of this disease.
5. My Dog is an indoor dog - so I don't need to use prevention.
Answer: False, unless your dog NEVER goes outside to go potty, go for a walk, and your house never has a door or window open! (How DO you get in the house?)